While a picture can tell a thousand words, words can enhance a picture by telling a story, providing context, or adding an air of mystery. Instagram captions can help complete your Instagram post. You might add an Instagram caption to direct customers to your bio link, share selfie quotes, or increase social media engagement. In this article, you’ll learn what an Instagram caption is, why you should use one, and tips for writing the best Instagram captions. You’ll even find a list of cool Instagram captions you can use for your photos.
If you want to become an Instagram master, don’t forget to check out for our free Instagram course.
- What is an Instagram Caption?
- How to Write Instagram Captions
- 200 Best Instagram Captions to Use for Your Photos
- Instagram Captions for Selfies and Selfie Quotes
- Instagram Captions 2019
- Success Captions
- Instagram Captions for Couples
- Instagram Captions for Best Friend
- Question Captions
- Lit Instagram Captions
- Motivational Instagram Captions
- One Word Captions
- Instagram Captions for Summer
- Baddie Instagram Captions
- Rap Lyrics for Instagram Captions
- Cardi B Instagram Captions
- Instagram Captions Lyrics 2019
- Instagram Captions Travel
- Nature Captions for Instagram
- IG Captions
- Captions for Girls
- Captions for Boys
- Short Instagram Captions
- Sad Instagram Captions
- Attitude Captions for Instagram
- Instagram Captions Lyrics
- Sassy Instagram Captions
- Graduation Captions
- Funny Instagram Captions
- Good Instagram Captions
- Clever Instagram Captions
- Cool Captions for Instagram
- Instagram Caption Ideas
- Cute Captions for Instagram
- Halloween Instagram Captions
- Christmas Instagram Captions
- New Years Captions for Instagram
- Birthday Instagram Captions
- Insta Captions
- Instagram Captions Ideas
What is an Instagram Caption?
An Instagram caption is a written description or explanation about the Instagram photo to provide more context. Instagram captions can include emojis, hashtags, and tags. Here’s an example of a caption on Instagram:
Anna Kendrick posted a photo of her with a cute animal. Her Instagram caption read “He followed me home ma! Can I keep him?” In this case, her caption helps give context as to why she took a picture with this animal. She told a one sentence story about how he followed her home, but likely took the photo because she thought he was cute (just look at her face!) and wanted to keep him.
How to Write Instagram Captions
1. Ask for Something
Posts with the most engagement tend to have Instagram captions that ask for something. You might ask for friend tags such as “tag a friend who’d love this t-shirt.” You could also use your Instagram caption to ask a question such as “What do you think of this look?” And of course, you can ask for a purchase by asking people to click the link in the bio. By asking for something, you engage your audience and strengthen your relationship to them. All good Instagram captions get people talking, sharing, or buying.
2. What’s the Instagram Caption Character Limit?
The Instagram caption character limit is 2,200 characters. How many words is 2,200 characters? About 330 words, give or take.
Take advantage of this character limit every now and then. Some days you might choose to write an Instagram caption with a string of emojis, but other days you might decide to share a story. With 2,200 characters, you can clearly communicate context to complete your Instagram post.
3. Use Emojis as Easter Eggs
If you’ve got a sizeable and loyal audience, you can use emojis to leave Easter eggs in your Instagram captions. What’s an Easter egg? They’re little hints that send a message across without explicitly saying anything. For example, Britney Spears has been using apple emojis for several weeks. She’s rumored to have an upcoming single called Apple Pie. And while she never confirms anything about the single, she keeps using apple emojis making fans hysterical. If you have an upcoming launch or an announcement you want to hint at, you can use emojis in your Instagram captions to create hype.
4. Brainstorm Several Good Instagram Captions First
Have you ever thought of something really witty to say after posting on Instagram? Bleh, sucks. The secret to coming up with the best Instagram captions the first time around is to write a bunch of captions first before choosing one. You can create a short list of ideas, browse hashtags for inspo, or look up puns for your keyword.
Ultimately, you need to pre-decide what tone you want for your caption first. Do you want to share a heartfelt story or make someone laugh? Once you know the tone you want, you can come up with caption ideas to see what works best for your photo.
Want to learn a few more amazing Instagram tips? Learn from Gretta Van Riel in our free Instagram course.
200 Best Instagram Captions to Use for Your Photos
Instagram Captions for Selfies and Selfie Quotes
- Me, myself and I
- Just me
- But first, let me take a selfie
- Typical me
- Selfie Sunday
- I was born to shine
- Me doing me
- I don’t always take a selfie, but when I do…
- What do you think of this look?
- I woke up like this
- Couldn’t be happier 🙂
Instagram Captions 2019
- You can regret a lot of things but you’ll never regret being kind
- Do whatever makes you happiest
- “Having the dream is easy, making it come true is hard” – Serena Williams
- Decluttering my life like Marie Kondo
- If I were rich, I’d pull a Netflix and spend $100 million on my Friends
- In 2019, I want to be as Insta famous as an egg and as ageless as Paul Rudd
- Can’t hear, can’t speak, can’t see.
- “Be heroes of your own stories” – Constance Wu
- “Hella fine and it works every time” – Ariana Grande
- My life is as crooked as Rami Malek’s bowtie
- We did it!
- Work hard then work harder
- When daydreams become reality
- Say yes, take risks, and live life on your own terms
- The impossible is now possible
- Perseverance pays… a lot!
- It wasn’t always easy but it’s worth it
- Pursue your passion and you’ll never work a day in your life
- Entrepreneur life
Instagram Captions for Couples
- Just the two of us
- He’s my best friend
- He’s my King, I’m his Queen
- Sometimes relationships end so love stories can begin
- We are totally #couplegoals
- My world, my heart, my everything
- My one and only
- My love
- You’re my 1 in 7 billion
Instagram Captions for Best Friend
- Friends are like stars, constantly coming and going, but the ones that stay burn as bright as the sun
- A good friend might know your wild stories but your best friend was right there with you
- I would never let my best friend do anything stupid…alone
- bff ❤️
- Laughing at random things. Partying ‘til the sunrise. There’s no one else I’d want by my side. Love ya!
- Hold onto your best friend because you’ll never find someone like them again
- Back in the old days my best friend why quiet and shy. I turned her into a monster. 😜
- Find someone who brings out the best in you
- A best friend is like your favorite bra: supportive, comfortable, hard to find, and close to your heart
- A best friend will love you when you’re too sad to love yourself
- Yes or No?
- How can I help you?
- What do you think of this?
- How gorgeous is this?
- If you could be doing anything right now, what would it be?
- Which [fill in the blank] are you?
- Trivia Time: How many people have tried [fill in the blank]?
- How are you guys doing?
- Miss me?
- What time is it?
Lit Instagram Captions
- Don’t trust everything you see, even salt can look like sugar
- Everyone has a chapter they don’t read out loud
- Too lit to quit
- Shoutout to myself because I’m lit
- I don’t tell you I love you out of habit but as a reminder of how much you mean to me
- When I started counting my blessings, I realized I have everything I could ever need
- A smile can change the world
- The biggest mistake you can ever make is to be afraid to make mistakes
- Life is tough but so am I
- “My coach said I run like a girl. So I said if he ran a little faster he could too.” – Mia Hamm
Motivational Instagram Captions
- Oops is always better than what if
- If you want opportunity to knock, it’s time to build a door
- The little things in life matter
- If you don’t believe in yourself, who will?
- I may not be there yet, but I’m closer than I was yesterday
- It always seems impossible until it’s done
- It may be stormy now but it never rains forever
- “There’s a dream that I’ve been chasing want so badly for it to be reality” – Justin Bieber
- Dreams don’t have expiration dates, keep going.
- Set goals you don’t tell anyone about. Achieve them. Then give yourself the highest of fives!
One Word Captions
Instagram Captions for Summer
- Feelin’ hot, hot, hot
- Sea, Sun and Smiles 🙂
- Summer lovin’ happened so fast
- Chasin’ the sun
- Blue skies, high tides and good vibes
- Hello sunshine!
- Life’s a beach
- I never want summer to end
- Eat, tan, sleep, repeat
- This is my resting beach face
Baddie Instagram Captions
- Act like you own the world because you do
- As long as my bank account keeps growing, I couldn’t care less about anything else
- I keep it real because I’m not afraid of having enemies
- …um ok
- You were my cup of tea but I drink wine now
- Ambition on fleek
- I wouldn’t chase you because I’m the catch
- Know your worth but don’t forget to add tax
- I’m the reason why I smile everyday
- I don’t care if you approve of me, I approve of myself
Rap Lyrics for Instagram Captions
- “I’m not a businessman, I’m a business, man”
- “You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow. This opportunity comes once in a lifetime.”
- California love
- “We gonna party like it’s your birthday”
- “I got 99 problems, but [fill in the blank] ain’t one”
- “The more money we come across, the more problems we see”
- Big poppa
- “Drop it like it’s hot”
- Only God Can Judge Me
- “I’m feelin’ myself”
- “To live doesn’t mean you’re alive”
Cardi B Instagram Captions
- “If a girl have beef with me, she gon’ have beef with me forever”
- “Knock me down 10 times but I get up 10”
- “I’m being nice to you. Have I stabbed you? No.”
- “I’m my own competition – I’m competing with myself.”
- “Do whatever you have to do. People always want to tell you how to do it. No, do it your way. And don’t ask for like oh how can you do it … do it, figure it out. I figured it out one way or another and I did it.”
- “I’m the rose that came from concrete.”
- “I’m gonna be on a budget until the day I die.”
- “I’m living my best life”
- “Looking like a right swipe on Tinder.”
- “Now I like dollars, I like diamonds, I like stunting, I like shining”
Instagram Captions Lyrics 2019
- “I’ve loved and I’ve lost but that’s not what I see” – Ariana Grande
- “I need somebody who can take control” – Sam Smith
- “Keep switchin’ your alibi, or stutterin’ when you reply. You can’t even look me in the eye. Oh, I can tell, I know you’re lyin’” – The Chainsmokers
- “Farewell tequila, so long margarita. And lady sativa, I hate to leave ya” – Bebe Rexha
- “You know what you’re doin’ to me” – Ariana Grande
- “It’s a hard time finding your freedom” – Slushii
- “I would sell my soul for a bit more time” – Halsey
- “Always wanted to be one of those people in the room that says something and everyone puts their hand up” – Julia Michaels feat. Selena Gomez
- “I’m a babe, I’m a boss and I’m makin’ this money” – Avril Lavigne feat. Nicki Minaj
“It was you who taught me living is togetherness” – Calvin Harris feat. Rag’n’Bone Man
Instagram Captions Travel
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go first?
- Hope you’re enjoying work, I’ll just be chillin’ here in [destination]
- Leavin’ on a jet plane
- Guess where I am
- Work. Save. Travel. Repeat.
- Time for an adventure!
- Wouldn’t wanna be anywhere else
- Be right back, exploring the world
- I travel because you can always get more money, but you can never get more time
- Just gonna cross this off the bucket list…
Nature Captions for Instagram
- Go to the place where you feel most alive
- A walk in the woods feels like home
- By getting lost in nature, you get closer to finding yourself
- If you’re looking for heaven on earth step outside
- Sometimes all the soul needs is a walk in nature
- The mountains call to me
- “If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
- If you’re looking for beauty, you’ll find it in nature
- Life is short and the world is wide so get out there and explore it
- Wherever you go, leave a trail
- Life is the biggest party you’ll ever be at
- An apple a day will keep anyone away if you throw it hard enough
- Give second chances but not for the same mistake
- Never sacrifice three things: family, love, and or yourself
- I’m an original and that’s perfection in itself
- You can’t dull my sparkle ✨
- Be the person you needed when you were young
- Life is about taking chances and having fun
- So grateful for this moment
- I’m thankful for the struggles that made me the person I am today
Captions for Girls
- Messy bun and having fun
- I got it from my mama
- A great girl is classy not trashy
- Girls are changing the world
- Who run the world? GIRLS.
- Just like my eyeliner, I always wing it
- I’m not one in a million, I’m one in 7 billion
- Leave a little sparkle everywhere you go
- I’m wild and free
- The only person I dress to impress is me
Captions for Boys
- Boys will be boys
- Chillin’ with my bros
- Boys got swagger, men have style, but gentlemen have class
- Be a warrior in a room of worriers
- A great man is strong because he can be gentle
- Haters are my greatest motivators
- A real man provides, protects and perseveres
- The only time a man should ever lie is to surprise someone
- No guts, no glory.
- Release the beast within
Short Instagram Captions
- Oh hey there!
- Short and sweet
- I got nothing
- *Insert witty Instagram caption here*
- Just livin’ life
- Just chillin’
- Today’s perfect
- Yup, another food pic
- Why so serious?
- Time for a change
Sad Instagram Captions
- Tears come straight from the heart
- Sometimes, at night, I hope to fall asleep before I fall apart
- I didn’t change. You did. You stopped loving me.
- “Learning is a gift. Even if pain is the teacher.” – Maya Watson
- As a kid I was afraid of monsters under my bed but as I grow older I realize they live inside my head.
- Want to be happy? Care less.
- Until you’ve heard my story, you have no idea
- Even when I’m sad, I show off my big smile anyways
- I miss you…
- The rumor is true, I’m sad. Again.
Attitude Captions for Instagram
- I’d rather be someone’s Sunday morning, not Saturday night
- Be the EXTRA in extraordinary
- I’ve got hustle and heart
- I don’t believe in SOMEDAY, I believe in TODAY
- When life gives me lemons, I make lemonade then sell it
- My life my rules
- I’m not lucky, I’m talented
- You can beat me down but I’ll just jump back up
- I may be down to earth but I’m still above you
- I’m confident, your opinion of me won’t change that
Instagram Captions Lyrics
- “I could build a castle out of all the bricks they threw at me”
- “I think I’m ready for my close up”
- “Pictures of last night ended up online, I’m screwed”
- “I’ll just keep on living, the way I want to live”
- “I got sinning on my mind”
- “Find me where the wild things are”
- “I got one less problem without ya”
- “I’m bringing sexy back”
- “We’re always undercover”
- “I don’t care if you tear me apart”
- “There’s no way I could be stopped, was coming for your spot”
- “Hello, it’s me”
Sassy Instagram Captions
- Don’t be average, be savage
- It’s not my fault truth hurts, here’s a bandaid
- Be the kind of person that makes others step up their game
- Single as a dollar but not looking for change
- Well behaved people don’t make it into history books
- Looks aren’t everything but I have them just in case
- People say I act like I don’t care but it’s not an act
- I can easily tell how intelligent someone is by how stupid they think I am.
- I’m classy, sassy and a bit badassy
- I’ve got my sassy pants on. Watch out world!
- I’m too glam to give a damn
- “She believed she could, so she did.” – R.S. Grey
- “An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.” – Benjamin Franklin
- “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- I finally turned my can’ts into cans and my dreams into plans.
- Excited for the next chapter of my life. Get ready for a wild adventure!
- When you’re so close to victory 🏆
- “I don’t know where I’m going, but I promise it won’t be boring.” – David Bowie
- Here’s to all the fun memories, late nights, and cups of coffee that got me here.
- It’s time to pursue my purpose.
- BRB. Working on my dreams.
Funny Instagram Captions
- When I feel like giving up on my dreams, I keep sleeping
- The best workout is a cross between a lunge and a crunch. Lunch.
- If I was funny, I’d have a better Instagram caption for this
- *insert funny Instagram caption here*
- This is my pretty hungry face
- Namast’ay in bed
- Putting the ‘we’ in weird
- We’re all born a little crazy, some of us just choose to stay that way
- We all have that one friend…
- I don’t know what’s tighter: my jeans or our love
- Mirror: you look amazing today Camera: Nope, you don’t
- I’m a model… Well… an Instagram model. Same thing right?
- But first, let me take 40 selfies until choosing one that actually works
Good Instagram Captions
- You’re like a four-leaf clover: hard to find and lucky to have
- You’re amazing, brave, strong, beautiful and perfect in every way
- So much to be thankful for
- Nothing shines brighter than a heart of gold
- Mistakes are proof that you’ve tried
- The journey is always the best part
- Today’s the best kind of day
- Life is only as legendary as you make it
- Good vibes only
- Livin’ the good life
Clever Instagram Captions
- Don’t judge someone by their mistakes but on how they fix them
- If I don’t post a picture, did it even really happen?
- You know you’ve made it when your idols become your rivals
- They call me ranch ‘cuz I be dressing
- One does not simply create a clever Instagram caption
- Maybe she’s born with it, maybe it’s the Clarendon filter
- If the world was created in 7 days but it took 9 months to make me, I’m clearly a big deal
- People will judge everything you do, so you do you
- I just rolled my eyes so hard I saw my brain
- You never realize how boring your life is until someone asks you what you do for fun
Cool Captions for Instagram
- Be the type of person you want to meet
- Just two friends having a good time
- Guess who I just met?
- Best. Day. EVER!
- What just happened?
- Go BIG or go home
- Treat yourself like a King and you’ll attract your Queen
- This is GOLD
- This is it!
- Express gratitude. Regret nothing.
Instagram Caption Ideas
- Motivation Monday? I’m motivated seven days a week
- Taco Tuesday is my favorite day of the week
- It’s Wednesday so here’s my wise quote of the day… actually I got nothing.
- Here’s a throwback Thursday picture. If you don’t comment aww, I’ll unfollow you.
- Friday, my second favorite F word
- “Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday”
- Happy #Caturday y’all
- It’s Sleepy Sunday. So here’s a selfie of me pretending to sleep.
- Weekend Vibes…
- This basically sums up my entire weekend
Cute Captions for Instagram
- This is me in all my glory
- Your smile is my favorite
- Je t’adore
- Keep your chin up so your crown doesn’t slip
- Be kind. Be love.
- Follow your heart in everything you do
- Don’t live a life regretting the things you didn’t do. Go do things!
- All I could ever want is right in front of me
- Don’t wait for the storm to pass, go out there and dance in the rain
- She brings out the best in me
Halloween Instagram Captions
- Pumpkin and spice and everything nice
- You’re my favorite BOO!
- Creep it real
- Happy Halloween!
- This is spooktacular
- Straight Outta Coffin
- I’m under your spell
- Bow down witches!
- If you’ve got it, haunt it
- Trick or treat?
Christmas Instagram Captions
- It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas
- Silent night… Oh, well we tried.
- This is my Christmas list, don’t forget to check it twice
- I’m dreaming of a white Christmas. But if the white runs out, pour me some red.
- Don’t get your tinsel in a tangle
- Hanging out under the mistletoe
- Drink up Grinches, it’s Christmas
- Can I wrap you up?
- ‘Tis the season to be jolly
New Years Captions for Instagram
- Happy New Year, everyone!
- It’s only January 1st and I’ve already failed at my resolutions…
- 365 new days, chances, and opportunities to go after
- New year, new look
- 2019: new chapter or same old story? Let’s wait and see.
- “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step” – Chinese Proverb
- Cheers to a new year of love, happiness and success
- Hope you crush it in 2019 y’all!
- May your 2019 be healthy and wealthy
- Happy new dreams, happy new goals, happy new wins, happy new love, happy new days, and happy new year!
Birthday Instagram Captions
- A year wiser 🤓
- Go shawty, it’s my birthday
- Happy birthday to me!
- Having my cake and eating it too 🎂
- Making my birthday wish
- I’m officially [age]!
- Experience level: [age]
- “It takes a long time to grow young” – Pablo Picasso
- Another year older, wiser, and happier
- On this day, a queen was born. Happy birthday to me!
- Gonna party like my birthday… oh wait, it is!
- Normal is boring
- “Be a little more you, and a lot less them.” – Madalyn Beck
- You can’t live an EPIC life without EPIC people
- Creating a life I love ❤️
- I’m just a girl standing in front of a camera asking if this is Instagram worthy?
- Filling my mind with happy thoughts
- A coffee can’t solve everything but it can solve a lot
- My life isn’t perfect but it’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me
- Isn’t it beautiful outside?
Instagram Captions Ideas
- Just your average Monday morning commute
- It’s a chill in bed kinda day
- Hitting the books today
- Me jamming out to New Music Friday
- So this just happened!!!!
- Sleep like no one’s watching
- “Life is a practice. You are what you do each day.” – Isaac Asimov
- Exercise: check
- Today’s been the best day
- Let’s get the party started!
You may have noticed that the recurring theme with these Instagram captions is confidence, self-love, and attitude. Whether you use one of the Instagram captions in this article or create your own, the best captions on Instagram come from an appreciation of your self worth. If you’re creating funny captions, feel free to use puns to add a sense of playfulness to your post. Make your caption tell the untold story behind the photo and it’s sure to be a success.
Want to Learn More?
Which of these Instagram captions will you be using? Comment below!